So to really get the full story out, I have to take you back a few years... 5 1/2 to be exact. Scott Pace Baldwin came into the world on a warm sunny Friday morning in Las Vegas, NV. From day one we knew he had some strong will in him. He didn't like to nurse so he boycotted that. He didn't like to sleep and REALLY boycotted that. As he grew up he continued to show his strong will in various ways... (I have to give him some credit because he most likely gets this from me. I'm not gonna do something I don't want to and I'd like to see ya just try and make me. Just kidding- I'm not that ornery about it anymore but as a kid I was a stinker!)
Anyways- Scott has always HATED getting shots. And as he's gotten older it's to the point of me having to lay on him while he kicks the nurse just to avoid one teensy shot! (Again- something he probably gets from me since I DETEST needles in all shapes and forms!)
Anywhooo- So we go to the dentist the week before Thanksgiving and find out Scott has a few cavaties and since he hates shots we decide to do sedation. So they send me home with a Valium for him and tell me they will give him happy gas when we get there and then do the IV. The front desk lady told me he would probably fall asleep on the way to the office from the Valium. (this didn't happen- also in order to get him to take the valium I told him he could get a toy at the store if he'd just take the pill and be good at the dentist... he said no... so I said what about a pet fish or something... he said yes to a fish but still wouldn't take the pill so I had to crush up the pill and hide it in some yogurt...) The front desk lady also said if he didn't fall asleep on the way, she told me the nitrous would make him so silly he wouldn't even notice the needle. Well enter my strong willed son.... Even with a 5mg Valium in his system and 15 minutes of nitrous gas they had to call in an extra nurse so there were 2 nurses holding his arms while the Dr. put in the IV. So they give him the sleeping stuff in his IV and Scott is still (sleepily) trying to get out of the chair and get off his IV. So they give him another dose or something and he's still trying to roll over out of the chair. The Dentist turns to me and says "How old is he again?"
Me: "5, well 5 1/2."
Dentist: "Really?"
Me: "Yup"
Dentist: "This much anesthesia would knock out a 7 year old cold"
Scott: "Blah blu letters, blah blee" (trying to grab the dentists name tag)
Dentist (said to the nurse): "I'll give him one more dose." (said to me-) "this should do it"
It took another minute or two before Scott finally gave up the fight...
Yeah- I have a strong willed son--- but that's only the beginning!
So they wouldn't let me stay in the room while they did the work so I went home and came back when they were done. I guess he woke up right before I got there... The nurse warned me as she was taking me back that kids either usually cry a bunch or are usually very agressive and mean after they wake up. Well Scott was both. As we rounded the corner to where he was I could already hear him wailing. He was VERY groggy but VERY upset about having the tape ripped off his arm where the IV was taped on. Basically he was ticked! He was balling and wailing and not having any of it. I tried to put his coat on him and he freaked because he didn't want it to touch his arm. So we get him in the car and he's just carrying on all the way home and about half way home he kinda stops and starts crying and yelling about wanting his pet fish.
"Oh CRAP" I think- how did he remember that. Well that's fine we can get a little bowl and a little goldfish after he wakes up from sleeping off the anesthesia...
Well no such luck. He ranted and raved and kicked a screamed for like 30 minutes after we got home about how he wanted to go get his fish (all this was said with VERY slurred speach...)
So finally I was done and called Dan and he met us at Petsmart and we got Scott into the store and got him a fish. He really wanted a black one and apparently the black fish required a big tank complete with filter and lights and the works and so we got Brock a fish too to keep Scott's fish company so we ended up spending like $50 on the whole thing to spoil my crazy crying child! Ugh! (yes I spoil my children- a lot!)
To his defense- I am VERY affected by any medication or even caffeine or anything so he must have been very very affected by all the extra medication they had to give him. And as soon as we got home with the fish Scott was an angel! (He doesn't remember anything from that whole crazy episode except having a shot place on his arm that hurt...)
Well here are our fish. They are a huge hit at our house and the kids spend like an hour every day just staring at them. It is actually incredibly therapeutic to just sit and watch them swim... They are named Iron Man (Scott's black fish) and Nemo (Brock's yellow fish)

Welcome to the family little fish!
And to Scott- yes you have incredibly "strong will" (aka stubborness at times) but I love you to death! I love that you know what you want. I love that you are so much like me in certain things(especially this one). I love that you fought the dentist- ( I was a little bit proud that they called you a fighter!) and I hope you never lose that!!!




2 comments:
I love the play-by-play pictures! What a Champ!
The fishies are cute!
Cute. Brandon wanted fish for a while. Strange.
Post a Comment